The first step in putting together a Vicon Vantage system is to set up your hardware. Gather the hardware components, supplies, downloaded Vicon application software installer, and documentation for your Vicon Vantage system. For details of the components supplied with your particular system, see the Bill of Materials that accompanied the shipment.
Assemble and connect the Vantage hardware components:
- For each Vantage camera, assemble the head block and connect the camera and base plate to it.
- Mount the Vantage camera and head block assemblies on tripods or on a clamp and truss on a speed rail, and then position them around the capture volume.
- For each Vantage camera, plug one end of a Vicon-supplied Cat 5e RJ45 Ethernet cable (the end furthest away from the ferrite) into one of the available RJ-45 sockets in the PoE+ switch. Although there are 26 sockets in total, remember that:
- One socket is required to connect to the Vicon Vantage host PC, which can be connected to one of the uplink ports.
- The 24 Ethernet ports on the PoE+ switch can support up to 12 Vantage cameras. The remaining ports can support any of the other Vicon components required in your system, such as a Vicon Lock or Vicon Vue video cameras.
- If you are connecting a Gigabit Ethernet switch with 10 GbE uplink (only needed if your system requires three or more PoE+ switches; or two or more PoE+ switches and a Lock; or two or more Vue video cameras), connect it to one of the uplink ports. (For an example, see Vicon Vantage system with additional cameras & Vicon Lock unit.)
- Plug the other end of the Ethernet cable (the end with the ferrite) into the RJ-45 socket on the rear of each Vantage camera.
- Plug one end of the Vicon Vantage host PC cable into one of the two uplink sockets in the PoE+ switch.
Plug the other end of the cable into the appropriate PCIe network Gigabit Ethernet port for the Vantage system network on the rear of the Vicon Vantage host PC (for details, see Vicon Vantage system network port).
Current Vicon host PC Pre-2020 Vicon host PC
For details of the Vicon Vantage host PC cable, see Vicon Vantage system cable descriptions.
- Switch on the Vicon Vantage host PC, and allow it to boot up.
- Switch on the PoE+ unit.