You can sharpen the camera lens focus by adjusting the focus ring at the front of the lens.
You can see the results while you are focusing the camera by viewing the marker images in your Vicon application software, in a Camera view pane. The following procedure briefly describes how to view the live camera data in your Vicon application software. For full details of the software steps, see the documentation for your Vicon application software.
To adjust camera lens focus with the front focus ring:
- Mount the camera on a tripod within reach of the Vicon Vantage host PC on which the Vicon application software is installed.
- Ensure that you can view the camera data from the Vicon application software on the Vicon Vantage host PC. For details on doing this, see the documentation for your Vicon application software.
- Place a selection of markers of the type you will use during motion capture central to the camera Field of View and at a distance from the camera representative of the capture distance, for example, some in the middle of the capture volume and some at a greater distance from the camera.
- Ensure that the lens aperture is at its most open setting, that is, it is set to the lowest numerical value on the aperture ring.
This lets more light into the camera and minimizes the depth of field (for details, see Aperture and depth of field).
- In the Vicon software, check the marker images from this camera (for details, see Check camera lens focus).
- In the Vicon software, observe the sharpness of the image of the markers; slowly adjust the front focus ring of the camera lens until the markers appear in sharp focus in the software, as shown in the following illustration.
- In the Vicon software, zoom out and check that other markers of interest distributed around the volume are also in focus.
- When focusing is complete, if your lens has screws for locking the focus ring, turn them to ensure the focus stays at the desired level.
- Return the Vicon software to the default capture settings (for details, see Check camera lens focus).