To use Python and the Shogun Post Python modules, you must first install them.
Both Python 2 and Python 3 are supported. Vicon recommends that you use the latest full release of Python 3, unless your project requires you to use a specific version of Python.
With Shogun 1.4 and later, Python 3.0 and later is fully supported. Legacy support only is provided for Python 2.7.
For information on installation, see:
To install Python 2 or 3:
- Go to https://www.python.org/downloads/
- Locate the required version and install Python, ensuring that Add Python #.# to PATH is selected:
To use a Python interpreter with Shogun Post, you must specify it in the Shogun Post Preferences dialog box, at the bottom of the Directories tab.
Install the Shogun Post Python modules
If you set the interpreter, you must also install the Shogun Post Python modules, using the installation utility provided in the following locations:
- For 64-bit installations of the Python interpreter:
- For 32-bit installations of the Python interpreter:
These scripts install the modules using the default pip tool.
The same module supports Python 2 and Python 3.
Shogun Post Python modules installed
Shogun Post installs two Python modules:
- ShogunPostSDK. This folder contains the main Shogun Post SDK, and is the module that is most commonly used.
- ViconShogunPost. This module contains the Shogun Post implementation of a common Python SDK, shared by several Vicon products.
Check that the Python modules installed correctly
To test that the Shogun Post Python modules installed correctly, run Python and try the following import statement:
If this imports without any errors then the installation has been successful.