Basic setup information for each type of hardware that is likely to be present in a Vicon Nexus system is included in the following topics:
- Connect devices running the Vicon Control app
- Configure system settings
- Configure Vicon optical cameras for data capture
- Configure video cameras for digital video capture
- Configure and calibrate FLIR video cameras
- Configure Vicon connectivity units
- Configure supported devices
If your system contains more than one Vicon Lock+ or MX Giganet, or if you want to change the automatically assigned synchronization source, also see Change the synchronization source.
If you are not sure whether your firmware is up-to-date or if you have received an email from Vicon Support about updating your firmware, see the instructions on how to Update firmware.
sourceChange the synchronization
The node for the device designated as the Vicon system synchronization source, which is responsible for providing the main synchronization signal to the system, is highlighted in bold in the System Resources tree. Depending on the age of your Vicon system and the connectivity devices it includes, Vicon Nexus automatically designates the synchronization source:
- If a Vicon Lock+ or an MX Giganet is included in the system, it is automatically designated as the synchronization source.
- If the system does not contain a Lock+ or an MX Giganet, then a Vicon camera is automatically designated as the synchronization source.
- If the system contains more than one Lock+ or MX Giganet, you must ensure that the connectivity unit that is connected to the PC (known as the primary unit) is the synchronization source. However, because Vicon software cannot detect which connectivity unit is connected to the PC, you may need to change the automatically selected source.
To change the synchronization source:
- At the top of the System tab, click Local Vicon System to select it.
- At the top of the Properties pane, click Show Advanced.
- In the System section of the Properties pane, click the Preferred Sync Source list and then choose the required synchronization source from the list.
Each Vicon camera and connectivity unit is programmed with firmware to control its operation. Periodically, Vicon supplies firmware updates to correct or improve device functionality. You apply these firmware updates to your Vicon devices via the Vicon Ethernet network using the Vicon Firmware Update Utility, as described below.
For versions of Nexus 2.8 and later, you are automatically notified when any component of your Vicon system is running out-of-date firmware, and given the opportunity to update to the latest version. (For information about updating firmware for earlier versions of Nexus, see the earlier Nexus documentation.)
To ensure optimum performance and access to all the latest functionality, Vicon recommends that you upgrade to the latest firmware whenever it becomes available.
To monitor and/or upgrade system firmware:
When you start Nexus or connect any Vicon devices into your system, Nexus checks to see whether the firmware for all your devices is up-to-date.
If your devices aren’t using the latest firmware, Nexus displays an icon in the toolbar to let you know that a more up-to-date version of the firmware is available:
Click on the icon to display more information.
Nexus displays a prompt that enables you to open the Vicon Firmware Update Utility (reprogramming tool).
Click Yes to open the Vicon Firmware Update Utility. Note that you can also open the Vicon Firmware Update Utility from the Start menu (select Vicon > Vicon Firmware Update Utility).
Nexus closes and the Vicon Firmware Update Utility is displayed, showing all the connected devices and their current firmware version.
By default, all devices are selected.
- If you don’t want to update any of the devices, clear the relevant check box(es).
Note that if required, you can select devices to be updated that are already using the latest version.
- At the bottom of the Vicon Firmware Update Utility window, in the Choose Firmware version list, select or browse to the required firmware version.
Click Reprogram to update the firmware for the selected device(s).
When updating is complete, the Firmware Version column displays the updated firmware version and the System Status line and the Reprogramming Status column display Complete on a green background.
If you do not have continual internet access, Nexus is unable to notify you when a new version of the system firmware is available. In this case, install the Vicon Firmware Update Utility on an internet-connected machine to detect and download the latest version of the firmware. You can then transfer this download to the local machine and use the Vicon Firmware Update Utility to update to the latest version of the firmware.
To downgrade to an earlier firmware version
To downgrade to a firmware version that was previously downloaded, open the Vicon Firmware Update Utility (from the Start menu click Vicon > Vicon Firmware Update Utility) and select the required firmware version.